Search This Blog

Friday, January 14, 2011

Ravens/Steelers rivalry

  When you read this post keep in mind that I'm a Yankees fan. Love me or hate me, you have to know that I understand what a real rivalry is and what a real rivalry should be between fans. This is why I don't understand the Ravens/Steelers "rivalry".
    The term rivalry is used far too loosely here in Baltimore. It's really nothing more than a grudge. That's all it is and that's all it will be. When a team (insert yellow and gold colored team) has dominated every bit of your existence in the NFL then there is no rivalry. That includes scoring, individual stats, regular season play, post season play, and general success in the team's history. So, why the hardcore rivalry and general hate towards Pittsburgh? I have an answer! Those that know me might say I rarely don't have an answer. Those that know me better would say that I rarely have the correct one. But sometimes I am so convincing that even I start to believe my on-the-fly answers. And that is our city motto, right? "BELIEVE!" So BELIEVE me, hon.

Question: Why the feeling of intense hate and rivalry?
Answer:  This is a case of a city population not having much else to grab onto as far as team sports are concerned. We have no basketball team. We have no hockey team. We have no baseball team. (Go ahead, look at the team's attendance and record over the last ten years and argue that the Orioles are supported like a team with rich history should be. Look at the attendance when a prime opponent isn't in town. I'll wait...................Finished? We havea swimmer, but his uniform would look ridiculous if worn at the local watering hole so he's irrelevant in this conversation. This city has watched the city of brotherly love succeed in the sports world over the last ten years as well as the nation's capital find success in hockey if nothing else sports related. Baltimore has had nothing but our August appearance of the purple and black to look forward to over recent years. I love the energy, vibe, and fan support. I truly do. I don't love the obnoxious Ravens fan that has blinders on to everything that has happened around the NFL over its history. It's much bigger and much more important than the Ravens are. These fans have to learn that.
The truth is this- if the Ravens went on to win this weekend, win the Super Bowl, then sweep the division next year and go to the playoffs again, they still fall far behind in inter team history and league history. There still isn't a real rivalry. Talk to the Eagles and the Giants fans or the Skins and the Cowboys fans then reassess your opinion that there is a legitimate rivalry between Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

I'll leave with this thought: The real rivalry should be about who is more obnoxious, the Philly fans or the Baltimore fans. The difference between the two is that Philly has earned it so technically their obnoxiousness is more appropriately labeled as pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment